This position is fast-paced and requires a candidate who can learn quickly and is comfortable with real time, on the job training. It is an excellent opportunity for a candidate to gain valuable professional experience in a causal environment. The primary purpose is to perform all assigned tasks, including but not limited to verifying and maintain all documents related to incoming and outgoing trucks, service and delivery vehicles into the yard. Additional, it will require assisting with cleaning and maintaining the office/log yard during hours when truck traffic is light. This position operates wheeled and knuckle boom log loaders to load/unload logs from rail cars and trucks.
|Scaler/Loader Operator||Hourly||Log Yard, Sweetwater, TN||Division Manager|
Essential Job Functions
- Responsible for inspecting and estimating the value of logs, the grades and characteristics of logs, inspecting logs for defects.
- Some heavy lifting and climbing is required.
- Operates wheeled/heel-boom log loader equipped with cable, hydraulic or pneumatically controlled grapples to load/unload rail cars and log trucks in a safe and appropriate manner.
- Selects logs to be loaded according to species and size required to attain balanced and compact load.
- Operator must be able to safely operate the equipment in a variety of weather conditions and in compliance with all safety standards.
- Sort and transport logs.
- Load and unload log rail cars and trucks.
- Assist at yard as needed.
- Ensures that trucks are properly positioned on scales for accurate weights.
- Monitor load sizes of internal and external trucks.
- Service all customer pick-up business.
- Greet and assist visitors entering yard. Ensure site specific safety rules are understood and followed.
- Answer phones and take orders for delivery.
- Inspects load and query drivers as required. Enter load information and customer/truck information into computer and operate computerized truck scale to determine weight of load.
- Check the information on the driver’s paperwork to the information printed on the weight certificate to be certain that the information for all loads is accurate.
- Must have the ability to work with minimal supervision in a fast-paced environment.
- Will assist in other duties throughout the yard as assigned by lead or supervisor.
- Adhere to all safety policies and perform tasks in a safe responsible manner.
- Be proficient/safe using a chain saw to buck, groom and trim logs for resale.
Education/License / Experience Requirements
- High School Diploma or GED Certification.
- 2 or more years of experience operating heavy front end log loading equipment in a logging or sawmill environment.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- A strong sense of urgency and attention to detail.
- Basic computer skills.
- Previous experience operation a forklift and/or heavy equipment.
- Ability to work individually (without constant supervision) for extended periods of time as well as in a team environment.
- Operate heavy equipment (knuckle boom loader, frontend loader, skid loader, man lift, etc.).
- Perform routine maintenance on all equipment on the yard site.
- Must be trainable in safety and quality work processes.
- Ability to meet physical requirements of the job including standing, climbing, bending and lifting occasionally up to 50 lbs. or more.
- Hand dexterity and strength.
- Work sometimes required use of eye protections, foot protection, hand protection, head protection and use of high-visibility clothing/vest.
- Requires routine exposure to industrial vehicle and equipment noise. When required to perform spotter duties, encompasses physically strenuous work involving working outdoors doing tasks that require physical strength and endurance. Work requires the strength and agility sufficient to safety perform all essential job functions including the ability to lift, carry, push or pull a minimum of 50 lbs. without assistance.
- May be required to successfully complete a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
- Travel – None.
- Prefer a candidate with previous experience as an equipment operator either in a log yard environment or at a logging operations. Must be self-motivated and organized.
- Competitive benefits including paid time off, medical, dental, vision, company paid life & AD&D insurance, voluntary life & AD&D insurance, accident insurance and 401k plans are offered.